How to teach sh sound:
We are going to teach kids the sh sound through 6 steps. Each step will add a lot of fun and liveliness to the learning time. Let’s see together:
1. sound sh story:
Once upon a time, there was a lovely mother who has just given birth to a baby. She used to walk with him along the corridor of her house breastfeeding her baby. Every time he cries and she can’t understand the reason, she shakes him mildly saying “sh,…shhh…calm down my little angel”.
2. sh sound jolly phonics pronunciation:
- Slightly open your mouth and round your lips. You may push them out a little.
- Now, focus on your tongue. Arch your tongue and raise it to the roof of your mouth, but don’t touch it. Make sure there’s a small gap between them.
- Next, release a stream of air over your tongue.
- When the air flows between the blade of your tongue and the roof of your mouth, it’ll create lots of noise.
- Remember, the fricatives are continuous sounds and so is the “sh” consonant digraph.
Click here to know HOW TO TEACH JOLLY PHONICS STEP-BY-STEP
3. jolly phonics digraph sh dictation:
To walk with your kid step by step on his notebook to write the following digraph. Show him the gif below and motivate him to imitate it.
4. sh sound digraph tracing worksheet:
Here’s the digraph “sh” tracing worksheet to practice:
5. Jolly phonics sound sh – blending exercise:
- First level: Make combinations of the flashcards below and let the child recognize which letters are making the sound “sh”.
- Advanced level: Let the child assemble the words below by himself. keep telling him the pronunciation of the word until he can make the combination alone.
The word the kid should make here is “sheep”.
Try other words too…
jolly phonics sound sh- words dictation:
Write on the board or on a piece of paper the following table of graphemes. Give the kid some oral words that can only be combined with available graphemes in the table. See how your kid will be able to form a word from.
The teacher/parent here may say :
Now the kid has to know how to form the latter word from the table using his listening skills and his knowledge of blending.
after the teacher/parent pronounce the word the kid should arrange the word following the pronunciation he heard
if you want more content for your kid you can check our free educational games